Saturday, March 25, 2017

No more #nurseryrhymes... and #fairytales!!!

.... 'Georgie Porgie, pudding and pie, Kissed the girls and made them cry; When the boys came out to play, Georgie Porgie ran away'..... a sweet and funny rhyme as an adult. But as a mother to a toddler I was amused and then surprised and lastly shocked when I deciphered the meaning of this rhyme. Why would I want him to learn something about a boy that make girls cry and just because some boys came to play why the hell did this dude run away. Absurd!!!

So then I went to a simpler one which we all know is funny for an adult. 'Johnny Johnny yes Papa, eating sugar no papa. Telling a lie, no papa... open your mouth, hahaha.' So what did papa do? Well, for starters if my kid would do something like this his father would surely give him a tight on his right cheek. And as parents don't we keep pushing the values down our children's throat? Then why would I try to teach him a rhyme that goes totally against the taught values. So my motherly instincts just switched from nursery rhymes to story books before the little volcano would erupt next to me.

So my little toddler hands me a story book and tells me to "Read this story." Jack and the bean stock- vow that's cool I muttered. And so the story goes how Jack stole the gold coins, the harp and the golden hen from right under the giant's nose. Jack gets inside the castle because a mysterious bean tree had grown overnight outside his window from the seeds that he took in exchange of his cow. I mean, firstly the dud exchanges the cow for some bean seeds that he was to sell in the market and then he climbs the tree sneaks into the giant's castle and he has the audacity to cut the tree with an axe which is given by his mom and they actually live happily ever after. I mean seriously talk about having a nerve.

So I asked my toddler, so what did he understand. And he excitedly narrated that there was a big bean tree and the castle where the giant lived and the hen that gave eggs. And I sighed!

So, I flipped for another story that would be 'nice' for him. And I came across a story with a twist. Goldilocks and the three bears. Now what could you seriously find any hidden perceptions amongst three bears. But alas, surprise surprise I was so wrong. So as the story goes Goldilocks is a young girl who was roaming in the woods and gets lost and then enters a cottage. She sees three bowls of porridge and she empties one of them. Tries to sit on a chair and breaks it and finally climbs on the bed and goes off to sleep. Now haven't we always told our children do not enter any unknown places. Do not eat anything of which you have no knowledge and when the bears come back to their cottage and find the broken chair, empty porridge bowl they are bewilded of course and when they see Goldilocks sleeping, they get frightened and eventually frighten her and she runs away from the cottage never to go back again. Wow, am sure the bears would be happy to have Goldilocks off their backs. 

Enough of deciphering words and sentences and story lines. I finally closed the story book... switched on the visual medium and yipee we have "Avengers-age of Ultron."  To hell with screen time and excess two hours of movies and its magic!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inspite of his faults....

He is not perfect and neither are you He comes with his flaws and so do you He may not love you the way you want him to He may not ...